Ramanan is the Mission Director of the Atal Innovation Mission, NITI Aayog (National Institution for Transforming India) Government of India
• The Atal Innovation mission is a strategic and holistic national inclusive innovation initiative aligned with UN SDG, spanning schools, universities, industry and NGOs
• As the Mission Director of AIM, Ramanan has been instrumental to date in the launch and execution of several nationwide innovation and entrepreneurship initiatives resulting in 10,000+ Atal Tinkering Labs being established in schools nationwide with 4020+ operational across all districts and over 2 million students having access to innovative tools and technologies like 3D printers, robotics, miniaturized electronics do it yourself kits
• 102 Atal Incubation Centers being established in Universities / industry fostering Startups
• 24 Atal New India Challenges to stimulate product innovations along with Ministries of India
• one of the largest mentorship networks with over 10000+ registrations nationwide AIM iNNONET to mentor young school students and Startups in the Tinkering Labs and the Incubators
• He has also spearheaded the establishment of global, academic, industrial and government relationships of AIMs aligned with the its objectives
R Ramanan is the Senior Vice President of Tata Consultancy Services, prior to this he was the Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer and a member of the Board of Directors of CMC Ltd., a subsidiary of the globally acclaimed Tata Consultancy Services (TCS).
Ramanan’s illustrious career in the IT industry spans more than three decades when he joined TCS in 1981 after graduating from IIT Bombay in Electrical Engineering. Mr. Ramanan has also been invited as the guest of honor at convocation of various prestigious institutions like:
• IIT Bombay (Shailesh J Mehta School of Management (SJMSOM), IIT Bombay),
• Nehru Group of Institutions,
• Durgadevi Saraf Institute of Management Studies (DSIMS),
• NITTIE Mumbai,
• Dayanand Sagar Institutions, etc.
Ramanan played an instrumental role in the growth of TCS with a variety of responsibilities ranging from software product development, technical marketing, global business development, and general management of large delivery centers of TCS.
Ramanan led CMC’s rapid transformation from a domestic government organization to a global IT system engineering and integration organization. Under his leadership
• CMC share price grew over 2100% between October 2001 to 2014,
• its operating profits grew over 1338%, with over 72% of its business coming from the overseas markets and leading to its successful amalgamation into TCS in 2015
Ramanan is also a Harvard Business School Advanced Management Program Alumni and accredited by Cambridge University in Sustainability Leadership. He was also elected as the Lifetime Chair of HBS AMP187 Alumni by HBS.
Ramanan has also been conferred with an Honorary Doctorate by the Gujarat Law Society in recognition of his impactful considerable contribution in the areas of Corporate Leadership, Entrepreneurship & Innovation.
Ramanan is also the
• Chairman of CSIR LRF committee
• Chairman of the New Zealand Trade & Enterprise-NZTE Beachheads Advisory Panel
• Key board member in the Defence Innovation Organisation (DIO) – innovations for defence excellence
• Key board member in I4F (India Israel Industrial R&D and Technological Innovation Fund), aimed to promote, facilitate and support joint R&D between India and Israel by the Global Innovation and Technology Alliances (GITA)
• Key member of the Tata Group Innovation Forum (TGIF) and has served on the board of TATA companies
• He is an eminent speaker at numerous national and global forums on corporate leadership & sustainability, innovation and entrepreneurship
Ramanan received the
• CEO of the Year award in 2015 from CMO Asia,
• India’s top 3 most “Value” able CEO recognition by Business World in 2011 and 2013,
• Indira Gandhi Sadbhavana and Rajiv Gandhi Shiromani awards in 2005-2006
• Many other recognitions for outstanding contributions in Innovation and Business Leadership. He has recently been honored with Mint SAP Digitalist Award -19th April 2018 in Mumbai.